Saturday, March 2, 2019

On the Brink

Last week I heard the hardest words I have ever heard in my life. Even harder than when we knew that our little boy's heart had stopped beating. Then, I already knew--I knew for a few days, although I had hope, I knew. This time, it came seemingly from nowhere. I had no idea just how sick my brother was. We heard on Wednesday that my brother was very sick, he was transferred to a large hospital for specialty care. By Friday morning he was intubated with respiratory failure, liver failure, failing kidneys, all from septic shock. That text was the impetus for us to hit the road that afternoon and drive straight "home", we just didn't know yet how bad it was.

On Saturday, the doctors gathered everyone that was there and told us that his prognosis was dire. He used the words, "we think he is in the process of dying." Somehow, I was the one that had to call my dad. How do we manage these things? To call our own parents and tell them their son may not live. The out pouring of love was beyond anything I could ever fathom. Friends and family came from near and far to be there for each other. We all talked to him, told him our stories and just how much we love him. And we prayed. I asked our own saint to pray and intercede for him. She may not be canonized, but there is no doubt St. Cecilia of New Jersey (Jersey City?) is there for us when we need her.

By Saturday night there was only a small improvement, and Sunday morning the doctors said there was maybe just a small hope of improvement, but there was still no optimism. On Monday, there was hope, and maybe s little optimism. By Wednesday, the doctor implied that there was something big at work here. It was something beyond their control that kept him from death. The doctor even said that he was glad he was wrong.

Today, he was finally considered in stable condition. A week ago he was on his death bed, and today there is real hope. I'll return home on Monday with faith that he will continue to improve. He has a long, long way to go, but if anyone can survive and thrive after this ordeal--it's my little brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment